Please keep in mind that none of my postings take feasibility, logistics or budgets in to consideration. Disney is a place of fantasy, as is this place on the Internet. If anyone has ideas for other rides or attractions around the parks that are not being covered in a particular topic, please feel free to e-mail me. (see my profile) I will take the best ones and post them in your name.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

The Haunted Tavern

I have an idea for an “off property” attraction that I think would be a smashing success. I was going to try to find investors for this idea to make a go of it, but found that it would cost A LOT of money to have it done right and would take years of profit to pay for it. I met a bar owner a while back and we broke down the logistics of the project. We figured it would be almost impossible to find an investor to take this kind of risk . However, if you are the Disney Corporation with very deep pockets, it may be a feasible endeavor.

Imagine if you will in the heart of Chicago (or any tourist friendly city) sits a Haunted themed bar. The outside would be appropriately decorated to give it an eerie feel. But, the real fun doesn't start until you are inside.

Everyone who reads this blog is surely familiar with The Adventurer’s Club in Pleasure Island. It is one of my most favorite places in the world. I would take that concept of interactive improv actors and insert them into this attraction/bar.

The setting would take place in old Hollywood. The mansion would be riddled with handsome butlers and scantly clad maids (the wait staff). The improv actors would be wealthy actors, producers, directors, sports hero’s and so forth. They would all come to the “Mansion” for a party, the doors would lock and that’s where the fun would begin.

There could be a séance going on in one of the rooms with things coming to life and flying around. Some of the seats at the bar would poke you from time to time. Puffs of air would startle you in certain areas. Pepper’s Ghosts effects would be used thoughout the bar. Things on the wall would come to life and interact with the guests. The bathroom could have its own visual gags with the lights flickering on and off every few minutes and there would be a reflection of a ghost in the mirror. Fake blood could drip down the faux windows of the bar during a climatic scene.

The possibilities are endless. I would love to hear some of your ideas for this type of attraction. Or, let me know if you would be interested in coming to a place like this if you were visiting a tourist destination.


Amendment to article:
It has come to my attention that the place I am trying to describe already exists in a slightly different form. There is a restaurant in NY by the name of Jekyll & Hyde Club. This restaurant possesses many of the same attributes of the one I was trying to describe. I try to go out of my way to reference anything in existence from which I draw inspiration. In no way was I trying to plagiarize an attraction that already exists. I guess I was just a day late and a dollar short with my idea.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found Jekyll & Hyde very cheesy. I would hope your attraction would not be of the same kind. The "ghosts" and other scenes were cheaply done, poorly lit, and there was absolutely NO sense of mystery or fear. Waiters came, took the orders for food and returned with it, just as they do in other restaurants. By the way, the food was terrible.
Sorry this post is late, but I just discovered your blog!!